Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Seagate harddrive keeps on clicking

Several months ago I installed a brandnew Seagate 2,5" HD 7200.4 with 500GB (internal name ST9500420ASG) in my Dell laptop. After a few hours working the hd started clicking and beeping. Every time the hd clicked the OS stopped working for a second or two. I searched the whole internet for a remedy but all I found was that this problem was known in the apple world. I tried all the Seagate tools and check for new firmware version. But in the end I found no cure and the hd kept beeping. So far nothing bad has happened to my data. Anyway, two weeks ago I bought an external cooler for the laptop. Maybe the hd is just getting too hot inside the laptop (the old hd was only a 5400er).

The Zalman cooler works great and will definitely help to prolong the life of the laptop. But the beeping still remained.
The other day I found an entry in the dell forum where somebody had the same problem and stated that it is a dell incompatibility with this seagate hd and a new firmware for the laptop is needed to fix this. Unfortunately my dell laptop is too old to get any support. So I think the only way to end this click and beeping is to install a different hd...

No comments: