Friday, September 27, 2013

How to root a Motorola Defy Pro (XT560)

After my Motorola Pro+ died and I could not get a new one I was looking for a new Android phone with a good keyboard. So I ordered a Motorola Defy Pro (XT560) from the US because the phone is not available in Europe - only in India, Brazil and North America.

I was so happy when I got it that I installed my "usual stuff" on it only to encouter that the memory of the Defy Pro is much smaller than the one of the Pro+. But that's nothing to worry about because I can install Link2SD on it - so I thought.

But Link2SD needs a rooted device so I tried to root the Defy Pro with the software that I had for my Pro+. It turned out that it didn't work. Then I searched the internet but I could not find a how-to for a Defy Pro. But I did find one in portuguese: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/androidbrasil/cRs4iU6Nsxk
One of the group members created a how-to that was also in portuguese: http://bruno.tuy.com.br/blog/?p=173
This is what Google Translation made of it:
ROOT release the Motorola Defy Pro (xt560)

1 - Install Motorola drives in windows. Motohelper_2_0_53_driver_5_2_0_012027

2 - Place the phone in developer mode and then turn on the computer.
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging (check this option)

3 - Install Software Update Tool.

4 - Open the Software Update Tool because we will be upgrading cell. You will upload a file there. This xml, FXX_PR3_NV.xml, downloads and puts it around and advances.
The phone will reset itself and when it is already on the process has ended.

6 - Lower the SuperOneClick and unzip in any folder, it will be for him to root the device will be released.

7 - Run the SuperOneClick as administrator, just click with the right mouse button on top of the executable that will appear in this menu option.

8 - Click on the root SuperOneClick will do the job. The process is almost instantaneous is super fast. Ends when he warns that the root was successful.

9 - You can turn off the phone and unplug the computer when connecting Superuser checks if the program is installed, but if the root was released successfully.
Credits: http://www.thespicygadgematics.com/2012/08/how-to-root-motorola-motoluxe-237.html
I never used the Software Update Tool or SuperOneClick so I was surprised to see that I needed completely new tools. And I was really disappointed to see that the Software Update Tool (SUT LR) did not except the XML file that was supplied. It always reported "Invalid file".

Last night I tried it again and it worked. Honestly I have no idea why it worked now but not back then. Anyway if you are interested in the additional links/files I used - here is a list:
  1. Motorola Motoluxe root [German]
  2. How To Root Motorola Motoluxe 2.3.7 Gingerbread Firmware 
  3. New One Click Root (with SUTLR method) 
  4. Rooting Motorola Fire using SuperOneClick 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rosenkra.

Great thanks for your sharing the experiance of rooting the xt560.

Do you have any info about the latest rom for that? Or any suggestion of updating the phone after root? I am not sure if any effect on recover after root.

Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Hi, is 3G working even it is from USA?

Unknown said...

Good post. Is 3G working on this phone in EU?

Theju Paul said...

Hi, Wanted to know how much internal memory is available in Motorola Defy Pro XT560 without rooting

Unknown said...

hello,could you then partition your sd card with link2sd for adding more rom space,and even use swapp2 for creating ram space?

thank you

rosenkra said...

@Aleksandr: the phone's 3G is created to work in the Americas. Unfortunately I haven't heard of a different model for the EU. It is NOT working with full speed in the EU.
I have it working in Germany but I can only use it with EDGE (~4 times the speed of GPRS). :(
I think I found this information somewhere on the internet myself... and now I can confirm it. :(

@Jean: Yes, I partitioned the SD card (using Win7). I created one partition of 2GB for the system to link (which is more than enough) and the rest of the 16GB card is used as normal storage. Link2SD works just fine and it was the reason why I wanted to root the phone in the first place.
I did not use swapp2 so far, therefore I cannot say anything about that. Sorry.

rosenkra said...

@Raymond: Thanks. I searched for so long. That I wanted to encourage everybody with the same problem to buy the phone and root it. I really love the phone.
Regarding your questions: Sorry, I did not try anything like that after rooting the phone. For me the main reason of rooting it was to "increase" the memory using Link2SD. I did not try anything more after achieving that.

@Theju: I cannot remember. The data sheet says 287MB. But I think it was not more then 150MB left or so. And the worst thing is that the internal apps are so outdated (it's Android 2.3.7, remember?) that you have to update nearly all Google and 3rd party apps. If I remember correctly I could not even update all apps because the memory was too low by then. Not mentioning my own apps. :(
And that's the reason why you really NEED TO ROOT your phone. You need to use Link2SD or similar to increase the memory. Otherwise the phone is not usable IMHO.